Bedford Science & Technology Center is a career & technical school which serves students enrolled in each of the three county high schools. It is recognized as an extension of Liberty, Jefferson Forest, and Staunton River High schools. The Center was established in 1970 with an enrollment of 222 students in eleven programs. Enrollments have gradually increased to approximately 300 students who are presently enrolled in fifteen programs.
Students enrolled in a technical program attend the Center for one-half of the school day and are scheduled for other classes in their base high school the remainder of the day. Depending on program requirements, it may take one, two, or three years of attendance for completion. A Certificate of Completion is given to each student who successfully completes program requirements.
Successful completion of a program also enables the student to meet the Bedford County graduation competency requirement for job or higher education preparation.
The school officially opened in 1953 and was named Susie G. Gibson High School. When the career and technical center was established in 1970, the auditorium was named Gibson Memorial Auditorium in honor of this Black American educator. Some of the class pictures and school trophies were transferred to the Bedford City-County Museum for preservation.
Current Continuous School Improvement Plan
(Click link above)