Jean Kliewer

Hello My Name Is...


March 18 - 24th is National Poison Prevention Week

Practice Safe Medicine Storage, Prevent Unintentional Overdoses this National Poison Prevention Week and Every Week

Join CDC, the Up & Away Campaign and partners for #NPPW18

young children are brought to the ER each year because they got into medicines March 18 – 24  The CDC, the Up and Away Campaign and partners are joining forces to remind parents and caregivers of young children to store medicines safely and prevent unintentional ingestions and overdoses.

Each year, approximately 60,000 children aged 5 or younger visit the emergency department after getting into medicines that were left within reach. Storing medicines up and away and out of sight and reach of young children, locking safety caps, teaching young children about medication safety, and having the Poison Help number (800-222-1222) available in case of emergency are just a few examples of how you can help keep children safe this National Poison Prevention Week and always.

To learn more, visit


                               GET UP AND MOVE!

Dancing People.png


According to the American Heart Association, nearly one out of every three children and adolescents age 2-19 are overweight.  This makes childhood obesity one of our nation’s leading health threats.  It is an epidemic causing an increase in conditions and diseases in kids that are typically associated with adults.  Being overweight can cause many health concerns such as high blood pressure, heart disease and diabetes.   


Losing extra weight and being active can help!  For example, wearing a pedometer and setting a daily goal for a certain number of steps (ex…10,000) is linked to significant declines in blood pressure and body mass index!!!   Also eating healthy foods with lots of fruits and veggies can help.  Remember to encourage your child to eat healthy snacks.  (ex… peanut butter with celery or apple and popcorn.)  


The flu season continues but it's reported that the number of cases diagnosed is declining.  Please continue to use these tips for staying healthy: 

  • Washing your hands is the single most important thing you can do to help prevent the spread of bacteria and viruses.  Follow these simple steps and encourage your child to do the same. Wet hands with running water, add soap and apply friction while scrubbing the hands, wash for  20 seconds, rinse the hands well and dry thoroughly with a clean paper towel.  This needs to become part of your normal daily routine throughout the day. 


  • Cover your nose and mouth when you sneeze and place used tissues in the trash.


  • Get plenty of rest and eat a well balanced diet.


  • Remember, influenza or the “Flu” is a respiratory illness identified by cough, congestion, high fever and body aches.  It can only be diagnosed by a physician.


  • Stay home from work or school until fever free 24hrs without medication.  


REMINDER FOR PARENTS:  A Bedford County permission form must be completed with appropriate signatures in order for students to receive medications at school. Medication sent to school in a sandwich bag with a note from parent will not be accepted by the nurse. 

Also, students should not call or text parent to go home.  Student should ask teacher for permission to go to the clinic to see the nurse when not feeling well.      

 If you have any questions or concerns regarding your child’s health needs,, you can contact your school nurse at 540-586-3933 or 540-586-1270. 






Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2018 West Corporation. All rights reserved.